Welcome to the Children’s Library, where things are really hopping!
Our space features a cozy reading room surrounded by books, a classroom, and a tutoring room. There are so many wonderful ways for young readers to be involved here — through storytimes, family events, book clubs, after-school activities, volunteering, and more. Stop by to say hello to our reading ambassador rabbit, Coco, and browse our collection.
The Children’s Library offers four 30-minute preschool storytime programs for children of various ages:
- Drop In Storytime (3+) Join us in the Children’s Library for a story or two and then pick out books to take home!
- Music and Movement for Wigglers (0-5 years) Can’t sit still? This is the program for you! Jump, hop, dance and wiggle to the music.
- Crafty Kids (3-5 years) Get hands-on with theme-based stories and a related craft.
- Babes on a Blanket (0-12 months) Stories, rhymes, songs, and playtime for baby’s first year of life. 20 minutes structured play, 25 minutes free play and socializing.
Searching for something fun to do after school? Pequot Library offers exciting recreational activities that will keep your child’s mind engaged while having loads of fun.
Scrabble Club welcomes all levels of experience, including beginners. Learn winning plays, key strategies, and new vocabulary in a fun and friendly environment. Classes led by Jonas Brown who won the National Scrabble Championship youth division and was part of the USA Youth Scrabble Team. For children in grades 3-12.
Kids Knit is a program for children ages 10+ who want to learn to knit, cast on, and bind off. This is an opportunity to have fun with friends while developing fine motor skills and spacial recognition. Supplies list available upon registration. Kids Knit is offered at various times throughout the year.
Secret Service is a volunteer program for children ages 10-18. Missions include: Candy Making Workshop, Easter Egg Roll, Miss Susan’s Summer Supper, Fourth of July Parade (pictured), Halloween Parade, and the Holiday Caroling Party. Each rewarding mission requires dedicated “agents” to assist in setting up, decorating, creating crafts, leading games, all while having fun with friends.
Friday Night Café offers young musicians, dancers, writers and singers and opportunity to perform on stage and shine! Friday Night Café is presented by Pequot Library and Music for Youth and takes place monthly throughout the school year. $5 fee covers food and drink. Registration required.
Seasonal Offerings: Look for more after-school activities including Lego Club, Fireside Tales, Edible Book Festival, Oscar Movies for Kids, and more by visiting our calendar.View the Schedule
“I love the quality selections in the kids department, and the small neighborhood feel.”
Workshops and Classes
Parenting discussions, college preparation seminars, writing workshops, and etiquette classes provide parents and their children the opportunity to discover new information and develop new skills.View the Schedule
Music and the Performing Arts
Irish Step Dancers, Shakespeare for Kids, and free concerts in the Auditorium and on the Great Lawn are but a few of our many cultural offerings for children and families throughout the year.View the Schedule
Please check back for information on our upcoming once-a-month book clubs.
Past book clubs have included:
- Mother/Daughter Book Club: Girls ages 8-12 and their mothers discuss some of the best that children’s literature has to offer.
- Banned Books Book Club: Students ages 9-12 discuss, among other things, why certain books are banned.
- The Magic Tree House Book Club: Students in grades 1-3 explore history and fantasy with Jack and Annie Smith on their numerous adventures and missions from their magical tree house.
Join your neighbors at one of Pequot Library’s many community events: The Easter Egg Roll, Miss Susan’s Summer Supper and Campout, Fourth of July Bike Parade, [new] Pumpkin Parade & Halloween Magic, and our Holiday Caroling Party and Open House.View the Schedule
YA Book Bundles
YA Book Bundles
Sign up for YA Book Bundles with Pequot Library to receive a special box with snacks, goodies, and two library books curated especially for you! Simply fill out our form so we can match you with a book. The library books will need to be returned, but the treats and goodies are yours to keep. For grades 7-12.