2020 Dillon Fellowships
Pequot Library in Southport, CT is pleased to announce the first year of the Dillon Fellowship program, which will provide support to researchers working on the library’s collections for projects lasting between one week and one month. The Dillon Fellowship, supported by a generous donation from the Dillon Fund, will provide a stipend and living expenses for fellows, not including housing, for two fellows a year. Dillon Fellows will conduct research that draws on any aspect of our holdings. We are particularly interested in proposals focused on the history of libraries, but any projects that incorporate Pequot’s rare books and archival materials will be considered. Among the library’s noted strengths are its collections of Americana, local history, fine arts press, and historic children’s books, as well as its well-preserved pamphlets and printed ephemeral materials from the late eighteenth through the nineteenth centuries.
The extended application deadline for 2020 fellows is May 16, 2020, with awards announced in early June for projects to be undertaken within two years from the date of acceptance. The timeframe for applications and for projects has been extended to accommodate changes to travel and to personal and professional circumstances as a result of the pandemic.
Weekend Circulation Desk Clerk/non-exempt
The circulation staff acts as the face of Pequot Library, from greeting visitors to assisting with library inquiries to helping colleagues in other departments as needed. As such, it is important they project the welcome, helpfulness, and enthusiasm that help make Pequot Library such a unique and valued institution. They create an orderly and workable front desk environment that promotes overall materials circulation, program attendance, and membership growth. They will be requested to be available for some special events and public programs as needed. The weekend circulation staff reports to the Chief Librarian, and will staff the front desk 2-3 weekends per month in addition to occasional weekday shifts. Currently, Pequot Library is only open on Saturdays but is looking forward to adding Sundays to our weekend operating hours in the next few months.
Handle weekend operations at the Front Desk to achieve efficiency and warmth associated with Pequot Library.
- Prepare the building and circulation desk for opening and closing
- Check books in and out, process holds, overdues, etc. and notify patrons when books arrive
- Perform ready reference and readers’ advisory services by helping patrons find the right book or item
- Responds to telephone inquiries pertaining to library services and programming
- Monitors public use of library facilities and assists patrons in location of library materials and use of technology (public computers, copying machine, printer)
- Responsible for displays as well as shelving material
- Perform other library and program tasks as assigned
- Organize and prepare materials for curbside pickup
- Saturdays, Sundays, and occasional evenings required to manage special events/rentals
- Other duties as needed
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree required and some library experience, preferred
- Strong customer service
- High overall level of computer proficiency & quick at learning new technologies
- Ability to communicate effectively, courteously and promote membership growth
- Ability and desire to serve the public of all ages
- Knowledge of current/popular books for Readers’ Advisory
- Ability to work as a team member
- Flexibility, sense of humor
- Interest in humanities
- Availability for most weekends and some evenings
Pequot Library is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Pequot Library makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
About Pequot Library:
Pequot Library’s mission extends far beyond most traditional public libraries. Housed in a historic building, framed by an expansive front lawn, and located on over three acres in the historic village of Southport in Fairfield, CT, Pequot Library is a small gem to be discovered.
For over 130 years, Pequot Library has been a cultural pillar of Fairfield County, providing professional, encouraging library services and diverse programming to our local and regional community. Pequot Library helps children develop a life-long interest in reading and learning through engaging programs and special activities. The library presents concerts, exhibitions, lectures, and a wide range of cultural, educational and community events in both its auditorium/concert hall and the Perkin Gallery. Inspired by its collections, the library engages its audiences with the pressing issues of today. Pequot Library is committed to integrating its unique Special Collections into its day-to-day service to a broad and diverse community through exhibitions, multidisciplinary programs, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest and résumé to Christine Catallo (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 14, 2021.