- DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
- COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT
- PEQUOT INTERN
ABOUT PEQUOT LIBRARY
Bringing Literature, Music, Art, Science & the Humanities to our Community. Our mission extends far beyond most traditional lending libraries. Pequot Library is housed in a historic building, framed by a Great Lawn, and located on over three acres in the charming village of Southport in Fairfield, CT. A small gem to be discovered, Pequot Library is a vibrant programming library where patrons arrive for high-impact cultural events and leave enriched and inspired.
For over seven generations, Pequot Library has been a cultural beacon of Fairfield County, providing professional, encouraging library services and diverse programming to our local and regional community. Pequot Library:
• Helps children develop a life-long interest in reading and learning through engaging programs and special activities.
• Presents concerts, exhibitions, lectures, and a wide range of cultural, educational and community events in both its Auditorium/Concert Hall and The Perkin Gallery.
• Engages the pressing issues of the day with its collections and adult programs.
• Integrates its internationally important Special Collections of are books and materials into its day-to-day service to the community through exhibitions, programs, and hands-on events.
Preserves its original 1889 building, one of Connecticut’s historic treasures, as an ideal setting for all these activities.
Experience award-winning, professional musical performances in the prized acoustic of the Auditorium/Concert Hall (which is perhaps the finest performance venue of its size in the region) and discover distinctive exhibitions in The Perkin Gallery. We integrate Pequot’s nationally significant Special Collections of rare books and materials, local artists’ work, and renowned traveling displays from partnering institutions, on display free and open to everyone. Enjoy stimulating public programs: Meet best-selling Authors, explore important Issues of the Day with recognized experts, and view thought-provoking films and documentaries. More than 100,000 individuals of all ages are educated and entertained by more than 750 programs each year.
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT full-time salaried, exempt
Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development serves as the chief fundraiser for the Pequot Library. This position is a member of the Senior Management team and manages a part-time Membership Manager and Special Events/Rentals Coordinator and collaborates across departments to maximize efficiency and effectiveness to fulfill the mission of Pequot Library. The Director of Development is responsible for securing all public and private funding including business/corporate and foundation support, governmental grants, and individual donors.
Work closely with Executive Director and Board of Trustees to achieve organization’s annual and long-term fundraising goals.
• Create and execute strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of current and new donors, to include: individuals (including major donors and estate/planned giving), private foundations, and businesses/corporations.
• Manage, plan, and supervise all development activities and budgets within the assigned area, including business/corporate sponsorship and exhibition underwriting, grants, annual fund appeals, and major gifts.
• Research and write grant proposals and interim and final reports in support of new funding.
• Perform direct face-to-face solicitations and support Executive Director with all aspects of donor cultivation and acknowledgement.
• Working with the Board Development and Nominating committees, support the Executive Director with Board recruitment, development, and stewardship.
• Plan, coordinate, and execute, in collaboration with volunteer committees, an active event schedule and friends/membership campaign.
• Oversee the donor database and friends/membership programs coordinated by the Membership Manager. Draft stewardship reports and other related materials as needed.
• Work with Communications colleagues to create fundraising-oriented promotional collateral.
• Participate in strategic planning and develop long-term organizational fundraising goals.
• Ensure ongoing communication with donors, timely gift acknowledgement, and tracking and reporting in coordination with the Membership Manager.
• Collaborate with the Director and Board to recruit and supervise special events/fundraisers volunteers.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit development field.
• Proven track record of cultivating and stewarding major donors, foundations, businesses/corporations, and sponsors.
• Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, ability to make Pequot Library come alive through top quality development written material, stories, strategies, and talking points.
• Fosters an environment of teamwork and collaboration among library peers, external constituents, and Board members. Ethical integrity and care for donor relations and stewardship.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings.
• Experience in libraries and/or historical societies/museums or related humanities-based nonprofit a plus.
• Experience Raiser’s Edge and Charity Web. CFRE and/or gift planning designation a plus.
Salary: $55,000 - 60,000 depending on experience
Pequot Library is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package. Pequot Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Stephanie J. Coakley, Executive Director
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING SUPPORT (unpaid volunteer)
Pequot Library is a vibrant and unique library located in Fairfield, CT and housed in a historic Southport building. It is seeking a Communications and Marketing Support person. This is a part- time opportunity (approx. 15 hours per week). This energetic team member will support collateral materials both in print and online. He/she will work closely with the Director of Communications. The Communications and Marketing Support individual will be responsible for providing a consistent and professional representation of Pequot Library in all its communication vehicles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Write press releases
• Compile press book (copies of published articles in print and online)
• Submit program information plus images to online calendars
• Create flyers from template using Microsoft Word and images
• Schedule, produce, and publish social media event updates
• Provide marketing support of planned events and special communications
• Create and update social media content on various sites
• The intern will help support the entire Communications department, including print publications, public relations, web, and digital communications
• Be passionate about libraries, art, music, and culture
• Excellent written communications skills
• Experience managing multiple social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, plus Flickr, Facebook, Twitter
• Excellent written communication and proof-reading expertise
• Attention to detail
• High organizational ability
• Deadline oriented
• Self-starter with a sense of initiative and responsibility
• Friendly, outgoing & positive attitude
• Graphic design expertise a plus
• Ideal candidate is organized, with strong attention to detail; possesses excellent computer skills and be able to work independently and complete projects quickly without sacrificing quality and accuracy.
• Strong interpersonal, team-building & professional skills
• Passion for the work, mission and values of Pequot Library
• Superior time management and oral & written communication skills
• Excellent multitasking and direct/open communication skills
Docents are volunteers who are trained to lead students in grades K-12 through tours of Pequot Library's history and architecture and/or materials on display from our Special Collections. Docents engage students through lively, interactive discussion, and a hands-on approach to learning while conveying the warmth that Pequot Library is known for. Click link here for more information about position and application.
Become a part of our staff and learn the inner workings of a public library by becoming a Pequot Intern! We offer a number of internships in a variety of exciting fields, from development, to library services, to communications. To apply, download, fill out and return this application.