Front Desk & Reference
(203) 259-0346 ext. 15
(203) 259-0346 ext. 18
Development & Membership
(203) 259-0346 ext. 12
Subscribe to eNewsletter
Pequot Library brings literature, music, art, science and the humanities to our community. For over 125 years, Pequot Library has been a pillar of Fairfield County, providing professional, encouraging library services and diverse programming to our local and regional community. Pequot Library:
• Helps children develop a life-long interest in reading and learning through engaging programs and special activities.
• Presents concerts, exhibits, lectures, and a wide range of cultural, educational and community events in both its Auditorium/Concert Hall and Perkin Art Gallery.
• Engages the pressing issues of the day with its collections and adult programs.
• Integrates its internationally important Special Collections into its day-to-day service to the community through exhibits, programs and hands-on events.
• Preserves its original 1889 building, one of Connecticut’s historic treasures, as an ideal setting for all these activities.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING INTERN (unpaid)
Pequot Library is a vibrant and unique library located in Fairfield, CT and housed in a historic Southport building. It is seeking a Communications and Marketing Intern. This is a part- time position (approx. 15 hours per week). This energetic team member will support collateral materials both in print and online. He/she will work closely with the Director of Communications. The Communications and Marketing Intern will be responsible for providing a consistent and professional representation of Pequot Library in all its communication vehicles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Write press releases
• Compile press book (copies of published articles in print and online)
• Submit program information plus images to online calendars
• Create flyers from template using Microsoft Word and images
• Schedule, produce, and publish social media event updates
• Provide marketing support of planned events and special communications
• Create and update social media content on various sites
• The intern will help support the entire Communications department, including print publications, public relations, web, and digital communications
• Be passionate about libraries, art, music, and culture
• Excellent written communications skills
• Experience managing multiple social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, plus Flickr, Facebook, Twitter
• Excellent written communication and proof-reading expertise
• Attention to detail
• High organizational ability
• Deadline oriented
• Self-starter with a sense of initiative and responsibility
• Friendly, outgoing & positive attitude
• Graphic design expertise a plus
• Ideal candidate is organized, with strong attention to detail; possesses excellent computer skills and be able to work independently and complete projects quickly without sacrificing quality and accuracy.
• Strong interpersonal, team-building & professional skills
• Passion for the work, mission and values of Pequot Library
• Superior time management and oral & written communication skills
• Excellent multitasking and direct/open communication skills
PART-TIME FRONT DESK STAFF/WEEKEND AND EVENING
Job Overview: Weekend's free? Love books? This job's for you!
This is an exciting position, the right person is the face of Pequot Library. The Front Desk staff are those people with the primary contact with the public at Pequot Library. It is an essential part of their job that they project the warmth and helpfulness that is such an essential part of what makes Pequot Library such a unique and valued institution. They create an orderly and workable front desk environment that promotes overall materials circulation, program attendance, and membership growth. They will be requested to be staff on hand for special events and programs as needed.
• Prepare circulation desk for opening and closing
• Check books in and out, process holds, over dues, etc. and notify patrons when books arrive
• Perform ready reference and readers’ advisory services
• Responds to telephone inquiries promoting attendance at programs and use of services
• Monitors public use of library facilities and assists patrons in location of library materials and use of technology
• Responsible for displays as well as shelving materials
• Perform other library and program tasks as assigned
• Act as docent with rare book exhibitions and in The Perkin Gallery
• Saturdays, Sundays, and occasional evenings required to cover special events
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• College Degree and some library experience preferred
• High overall level of computer proficiency
• Ability to communicate effectively, courteously and promote membership growth
• Ability and desire to serve the public of all ages
• Knowledge of current/popular books for Readers’ Advisory
• Ability to work as a team member
Pequot Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information on the Library, visit our website pequotlibrary.org
Candidates may apply by sending a letter of interest and resume to