Front Desk & Reference
(203) 259-0346 ext. 15
(203) 259-0346 ext. 18
Development & Membership
(203) 259-0346 ext. 12
Subscribe to eNewsletter
- DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE
- FRONT DESK STAFF
- COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT
ABOUT PEQUOT LIBRARY
Bringing Literature, Music, Art, Science & the Humanities to our Community. Our mission extends far beyond most traditional lending libraries. Pequot Library is housed in a historic building, framed by a Great Lawn, and located on over three acres in the charming village of Southport in Fairfield, CT. A small gem to be discovered, Pequot Library is a vibrant programming library where patrons arrive for high-impact cultural events and leave enriched and inspired.
For over seven generations, Pequot Library has been a cultural beacon of Fairfield County, providing professional, encouraging library services and diverse programming to our local and regional community. Pequot Library:
• Helps children develop a life-long interest in reading and learning through engaging programs and special activities.
• Presents concerts, exhibitions, lectures, and a wide range of cultural, educational and community events in both its Auditorium/Concert Hall and The Perkin Gallery.
• Engages the pressing issues of the day with its collections and adult programs.
• Integrates its internationally important Special Collections of are books and materials into its day-to-day service to the community through exhibitions, programs, and hands-on events.
Preserves its original 1889 building, one of Connecticut’s historic treasures, as an ideal setting for all these activities.
Experience award-winning, professional musical performances in the prized acoustic of the Auditorium/Concert Hall (which is perhaps the finest performance venue of its size in the region) and discover distinctive exhibitions in The Perkin Gallery. We integrate Pequot’s nationally significant Special Collections of rare books and materials, local artists’ work, and renowned traveling displays from partnering institutions, on display free and open to everyone. Enjoy stimulating public programs: Meet best-selling Authors, explore important Issues of the Day with recognized experts, and view thought-provoking films and documentaries. More than 100,000 individuals of all ages are educated and entertained by more than 700 programs each year.
The Development Associate will, with the Executive Director and the Advancement Committee, help lead the fundraising and development efforts at Pequot Library. These efforts are aimed at implementing the Library’s plans to provide annual operating funds for the Library through grants, the annual fund, and an impending capital campaign. Essential to these goals is the establishment of careful, effective procedures and operations throughout the development office; and reaching out to expand the Library’s constituency.
The Development Associate will work closely with the Executive Director in planning and achieving these goals. Working with the Board of Trustees and the Strategic Planning Committee, the Development Associate will help prepare a strategic plan for the Library, making sure that development goals are clearly spelled out. They will help to establish and meet the target goals set forth in the Library’s budget for the Annual Fund. Working together with the Development Committee, the Development Associate and the Executive Director will also help revise the plan for the capital campaign and begin to implement those plans.
The Development Associate coordinates all aspects of the design, production and mailing of development material in collaboration with Communications. The Development Associate will have primary responsibility in corresponding with existing and potential donors. In addition, the Development Associate oversees the training of clerical staff to handle data base management; helps compile Annual Report data; and provides some staff support with Special Events.
• Assists development team in all fundraising and community engagement events and activities.
• Plays an important role in the overall Development planning process
• Documents and acknowledges all gifts and pledges; compiles development reports
• Implements and manages stewardship program and other fundraising efforts.
• Designs, documents and implements best practice for the timely and accurate recording of donations, donor preferences, research, and enters gifts in Raiser’s Edge
• Processes accurate and timely gift acknowledgement letters for all fundraising efforts. Responds to inquiries from donors.
• Produces routine and customized reports in support of fundraising efforts, including grants and annual solicitations; creates and maintains development calendar
• Creates and exports data files for fundraising and marketing efforts in a timely and accurate manner.
• Serves as a primary point of contact for database systems to ensure accurate and up-to-date reports
• Conducts prospect research for donor cultivation and stewardship, as well as foundation and corporations
• Assists in the production and mailing of appeals and newsletters, as well as assists with campaigns, special events and special projects.
• Assists in the development of a major donor program
• Maintains solicitation documentation i.e., prospect lists, solicitor lists, donor files, etc.
• Writes grants and reports
• Acts as liaison to individual solicitors, providing necessary materials and record of their activity
• Acts as liaison with Board of Trustees and send regular board correspondence
• Records minutes at Board meetings
• Plans and implements cultivation events
• Assists the Executive Director in the creation of agendas for Advancement Committee meetings.
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience in nonprofit
• Experience cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors, foundations, and corporations
• Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, ability to make Pequot Library come alive through top quality written material, stories, strategies, and talking points.
• Fosters teamwork and collaboration among library staff, volunteers, and Board members
• History of integrity and care for donor relations and stewardship with major gifts
• Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings
• Experience in libraries and/or art museums or a related degree a plus
• Experience with Microsoft Office (including Excel and PowerPoint) and Raiser’s Edge
Salary Range: $30,000-$40,000
Candidates may apply by sending a letter of interest and resume to
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING SUPPORT(unpaid)
Pequot Library is a vibrant and unique library located in Fairfield, CT and housed in a historic Southport building. It is seeking a Communications and Marketing Support person. This is a part- time position (approx. 15 hours per week). This energetic team member will support collateral materials both in print and online. He/she will work closely with the Director of Communications. The Communications and Marketing Support individual will be responsible for providing a consistent and professional representation of Pequot Library in all its communication vehicles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Write press releases
• Compile press book (copies of published articles in print and online)
• Submit program information plus images to online calendars
• Create flyers from template using Microsoft Word and images
• Schedule, produce, and publish social media event updates
• Provide marketing support of planned events and special communications
• Create and update social media content on various sites
• The intern will help support the entire Communications department, including print publications, public relations, web, and digital communications
• Be passionate about libraries, art, music, and culture
• Excellent written communications skills
• Experience managing multiple social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter)
• Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, plus Flickr, Facebook, Twitter
• Excellent written communication and proof-reading expertise
• Attention to detail
• High organizational ability
• Deadline oriented
• Self-starter with a sense of initiative and responsibility
• Friendly, outgoing & positive attitude
• Graphic design expertise a plus
• Ideal candidate is organized, with strong attention to detail; possesses excellent computer skills and be able to work independently and complete projects quickly without sacrificing quality and accuracy.
• Strong interpersonal, team-building & professional skills
• Passion for the work, mission and values of Pequot Library
• Superior time management and oral & written communication skills
• Excellent multitasking and direct/open communication skills
PART-TIME FRONT DESK STAFF/WEEKEND AND EVENING
Job Overview: Weekend's free? Love books? This job's for you!
This is an exciting position, the right person is the face of Pequot Library. The Front Desk staff are those people with the primary contact with the public at Pequot Library. It is an essential part of their job that they project the warmth and helpfulness that is such an essential part of what makes Pequot Library such a unique and valued institution. They create an orderly and workable front desk environment that promotes overall materials circulation, program attendance, and membership growth. They will be requested to be staff on hand for special events and programs as needed.
• Prepare circulation desk for opening and closing
• Check books in and out, process holds, over dues, etc. and notify patrons when books arrive
• Perform ready reference and readers’ advisory services
• Responds to telephone inquiries promoting attendance at programs and use of services
• Monitors public use of library facilities and assists patrons in location of library materials and use of technology
• Responsible for displays as well as shelving materials
• Perform other library and program tasks as assigned
• Act as docent with rare book exhibitions and in The Perkin Gallery
• Saturdays, Sundays, and occasional evenings required to cover special events
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• College Degree and some library experience preferred
• High overall level of computer proficiency
• Ability to communicate effectively, courteously and promote membership growth
• Ability and desire to serve the public of all ages
• Knowledge of current/popular books for Readers’ Advisory
• Ability to work as a team member
Pequot Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates may apply by sending a letter of interest and resume to